The fact is, I actively contribute in some fashion or other in several open source projects. But I still feel very much like an outsider, as my contributions aren’t typically code-related.
…I would like to share some objections that I feel may cause new(ish) devs to shy away from contributing to open source software.
- There’s no certification, ceremony, or merit badge
- It’s not obvious where to start.
- Guidelines often make a maintainer’s life easier, and mine harder.
- Open source is for people who are better at this than me.
- Trying to contribute and failing makes me feel stupid.
- There’s no time.
- It’s pretty lonely.
Read the full story here